Apple Upside Down Cake
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup butter, divided
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup milk
- In a large skillet, heat the brown sugar with 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until melted.
- Add the apples and cook over high heat until the apples are fork tender, usually about 6-7 minutes. Transfer to a glass pie plate.
- Preheat the oven to 325°
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter with the sugar, until creamy.
- Next add the eggs and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and the milk, alternating between the two, starting and ending with the flour.
- Spread the batter over the apples in the pie plate.
- Bake for 40 -45 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and immediately loosen the edges of the cake from the pie plate.
- Place a serving plate over the pie plate and invert onto the serving plate.